Colleyville, Texas December 10, 2015
This holiday season, Market Street pharmacists are reminding guests to help protect our most vulnerable family members when diseases typically spread more easily. The holidays are intended to be enjoyed with loved ones, but family gatherings can turn into a breeding ground for disease if not properly vaccinated.
- More than 30,000 people contract whooping cough each year, which poses a potentially deadly risk for babies and young children.
- United Family pharmacists recommend “cocooning” your children, which means ensuring all family members, friends and child-care providers are vaccinated to provide a “cocoon” of protection.
- All adults 19 years and older, as well as women during each pregnancy, should have a dose of the Tdap vaccine, which is available at Market Street pharmacies.
- Nearly 33 percent of people in the U.S. will develop shingles and roughly half are men and women who are 60 years and older.
- Anyone who had chickenpox can develop shingles because the virus never leaves your system.
- The Zoster vaccination, which protects against the disease, is also available at all Market Street pharmacies.