November 29, 2018
By: Alex Cambora,HOLLAND collective
Scottish American is a national, multi-million dollar company with main headquarters in the great city of Grapevine (I grew up right next door in Keller!). While their current HQ houses the Texas team, ScotAm is a widespread insurance brokerage that has offices in 21 cities across the U.S. (more than 200 employees).
If you ask anyone in the industry, they’ll tell you that Scottish American does good business – but the proof comes in the annual contingency check awarded to the brokerage for top level performance. It’s industry standard for brokerages to keep the yearly check as income, but this year, Scottish American decided to give it back to the team members that are creating personal success with the help of this unconventional agency.
With more than 200 producers (and counting), ScotAm has gained traction among job-seekers from the every-man to the industry’s top talent. With free broker licensing and job training, 4-month maternity and paternity leave, the ability to work from home and/or bring your kids/pets to the office, and employee-earned ownership of the company — Scottish American’s success in purchasing their new, national training headquarters in Grapevine (right next door to their Regional Offices) is just the next step in creating a company for the people, by the people.
I’ve included additional info about the benefits of working for ScotAm below my signature. I would love to set up an interview with one of ScotAm’s Grapevine team members to talk about the new building, pros of working for a company that’s found success in providing unparalleled benefits, and more. Please let me know if you are interested in hearing other story ideas or would like more information.
- ScotAm does not hire based on experience. Many of the companies team members have never worked for an insurance company. Once hired, members are taken through a year-long ‘Enlightenment Program’ that teaches them everything they need to know about the industry, while including rewards — such as a trip to London after the program’s completion.
- A Laid-back Hustle – Scottish American’s business model is designed for self-starters and the company’s free-flowing organizational structure lends zero room for micromanagement. Scottish American employees are driven to succeed without the pressure of higher-ups criticizing their every move. Employees are given all the tools to become completely self sufficient, as long as they remain self-motivated and generate results. Scottish American frequently hire candidates with zero insurance experience.
- Family Comes First – They offer four months of paid maternity and paternity leave. If you need to take your daughter to dance practice at 2 in the afternoon, go right ahead. If you need to miss a week’s worth of work to take care of a distant relative, no one at Scottish American will bat an eye. That’s the brilliance of their structure– when you’re your own boss, you prioritize your work with the support of a team. In addition, a number of offices offer on-site daycare and encourage team members to bring their kids and/or pets to work.
- Freedom to Work Remotely – Scottish American has customized a new technology that allows employees the freedom to work whenever, wherever. Their platform is exclusive to the company, and very few other insurance company have the ability to allow employees to work remotely. This technology has given team members yet another freedom in the workplace, causing productivity to skyrocket. The ability to work from home has done wonders for the Scottish American employees’ mental health – they frequently praise the company’s commitment to the individual’s work-life balance. Team leaders have capitalized on this concept by utilizing the ability to hire top talent – regardless of location.
- EVERYONE Has The Opportunity To Succeed – One of the most beautiful things about the culture of ScotAm, is their devotion to being completely inclusive. The company provides an exciting and challenging work environment that creates opportunities for people that are often overlooked because of disabilities. ScotAm seeks to continue diversifying the company, creating jobs that inspire growth for every person that wants to find success.
- Every team member also has the ability to become a co-owner. Each co-owner is an employee of the company who has earned their ownership.
- Additional Scottish American Benefits –
- Pet-friendly Offices
- International Retreats
- No Dress Code
- Choose Your Own Title
- Target Markets According to Personal Interest
- Enlightenment Training (community and volunteer opportunities)