Wallet Hub November 27, 2018
The holidays are here. And one thing they’re known for is encouraging indulgence, such as overeating and overspending, which can lead to unfortunate economic consequences. Americans are the fattest people in the world and every year sustain nearly $325 billion in losses as a result. Plus, Americans began 2018 with over $1 trillion in credit card debt according to SoccerTimes.com.
In light of this dark pattern perpetuated every holiday season, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2019’s Most Sinful Cities as well as accompanying videos. To determine the most wicked places in America, WalletHub compared more than 180 U.S. cities based on seven sinful behaviors: anger and hatred, jealousy, excesses and vices, greed, lust, vanity and laziness .
Here are some highlights from the report:
|Most Sinful Cities||Least Sinful Cities|
|1||Las Vegas, NV||173||Fremont, CA|
|2||Los Angeles, CA||174||Virginia Beach, VA|
|3||New York, NY||175||Bridgeport, CT|
|4||Houston, TX||176||Cedar Rapids, IA|
|5||St. Louis, MO||177||Portland, ME|
|6||Atlanta, GA||178||Chesapeake, VA|
|7||Miami, FL||179||Burlington, VT|
|8||Philadelphia, PA||180||Columbia, MD|
|9||Chicago, IL||181||Pearl City, HI|
|10||Orlando, FL||182||South Burlington, VT|
Most vs. Least Sinful
- Irvine, California, has the lowest violent crime rate, 0.61, which is 34.1 times lower than in St. Louis, the city with the highest at 20.82.
- Yonkers, New York has the fewest thefts (per 1,000 residents), 11.38, which is eight times fewer than in Springfield, Missouri, the city with the most at 90.80.
- Fremont, California, has the lowest share of obese adults, 14.70 percent, which is 3.1 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest at 45.10 percent.
- San Jose, California, has the lowest share of adult smokers, 8.20 percent, which is three times lower than in St. Louis, the city with the highest at 24.69 percent.
- West Valley City, Utah, has the fewest beauty salons & spas (per square root of population), 0.1799, which is 36 times fewer than in New York, the city with the highest at 6.4852.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit: